[Python-Dev] Computed Goto dispatch for Python 2

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri May 29 03:10:33 CEST 2015

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > This patch could save companies like Dropbox a lot of money. We run a
> ton of
> > Python code in large datacenters, and while we are slow in moving to
> Python
> > 3, we're good at updating to the latest 2.7.
>
> I'm not sure that backporting optimizations would motivate companies
> like Dropbox to drop Python 2. It's already hard to convince someone
> to migrate to Python 3.
>
> Why not continue to enhance Python 3 instead of wasting our time with
> Python 2? We have limited resources in term of developers to maintain
> Python.

As a matter of fact (unknown to me earlier) Dropbox is already using a
private backport of this patch. So it won't affect Dropbox's decision
anyway. But it might make life easier for other, smaller companies that
don't have the same resources.

However this talk of "wasting our time with Python 2" needs to stop, and if
you think that making Python 2 less attractive will encourage people to
migrate to Python 3, think again. Companies like Intel are *contributing*
by offering this backport up publicly.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)