[Python-Dev] When should pathlib stop being provisional?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Apr 5 18:55:28 EDT 2016

It's been provisional since 3.4. I think if it is still there in 3.6.0
it should be considered no longer provisional. But this may indeed be
a test case for the ultimate fate of provisional modules -- should we
remove it?

I have to admit I got tired of the discussions and muted them all.
Personally I am not worried about the light use (I always expected it
would take a long time to get adoption) but I am worried about the
hostility towards the module. My last/only comment in the discussion
was about there possibly being a dichotomy between people who use
Python for scripting and those who use it to write more substantial
programs (I'm trying not to judge one group more important than
another -- I'm just observing there seem to be these two groups). But
I didn't stick around long enough to watch for responses to this idea.

Would making it inherit from str cause most hostility to disappear?
I'm sure there was a discussion about this when PEP 428 was originally
proposed, and I recall I was strongly in the camp of "it should not
inherit from str", but unfortunately the PEP has no mention of this
discussion or even the stated reason.

--Guido

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 3:41 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> After a rather extensive discussion on python-ideas about pathlib.PurePath
> not inheriting from str, another point that came up was that the use of
> pathlib has been rather light. Unfortunately even the stdlib doesn't really
> use pathlib because it's currently marked as provisional (or at least that's
> why I haven't tried to use it where possible in importlib).
>
> Do we have a plan of what is required to remove the provisional label from
> pathlib?

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)