[Python-Dev] bugs.python.org email blockage at gmail

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 22:21:04 EDT 2016

On 6 April 2016 at 11:27, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 4/5/2016 3:56 PM, R. David Murray wrote:
>>
>> We think we have a partial (and hopefully temporary) solution to the
>> bugs email blockage: ipv6 has been turned off on bugs, so it is sending
>> only from the ipv4 address.  Google appears to be accepting the emails
>> again.  However, the IPV4 address has a poor reputation, and Verizon
>> at least appears to be blocking it.  So more work is still needed.
>
> Switching back to Google from Verizon.
>
> How is bugs email sent differently from list email?  What the latter does
> works fine, at least for gmail.

bugs.python.org is currently sending notification emails directly to
recipients, rather than routing them via the outbound SMTP server on
mail.python.org.

Reconfiguring it to relay notifications via the main outgoing server
is the longer term fix, but an initial attempt at enabling that
resulted in errors in the bugs.python.org mail logs, so David reverted
to the direct email configuration for the time being.

Cheers,
Nick.