[Python-Dev] bugs.python.org email blockage at gmail

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Wed Apr 6 10:04:15 EDT 2016

On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 12:21:04 +1000, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 April 2016 at 11:27, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> bugs.python.org is currently sending notification emails directly to
> recipients, rather than routing them via the outbound SMTP server on
> mail.python.org.

Correct.

> Reconfiguring it to relay notifications via the main outgoing server
> is the longer term fix, but an initial attempt at enabling that
> resulted in errors in the bugs.python.org mail logs, so David reverted
> to the direct email configuration for the time being.

Specifically, I think we should clean up the issues that are causing
reputation loss (which pretty much means dropping rietveld, although
in theory we could fix rietveld instead if someone wants to finish
Ezio's patch).  And then we need to understand the issue that caused
me to back out the change: something is sending null-Sender emails to
multiple recipients.  We may not need to fix it (mail.python.org rejected
them but they may be useless messages), but we probably should.  I suspect
they are actual bounces, but I don't have the time to investigate further
at this time.

--David