[Python-Dev] Defining a path protocol (was: When should pathlib stop being provisional?)

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Fri Apr 8 12:42:49 EDT 2016

On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Koos Zevenhoven <k7hoven at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm still thinking a little bit about 'pathname', which to me sounds
> more like a string than fspath does [1].

I like that a lot - or even "__pathstr__" or "__pathstring__"

after all, we're making a big deal out of the fact that a path is *not a
string*, but rather a string is a *representation* (or serialization) of a
path.

> If added to str, it should also be added to bytes.

ouch! not sure I want to go there, though...

>  I'll have to mention that I was surprised, to
> say the least, to find that the pathlib discussion had moved here from
> python-ideas, where I had mentioned I was working on a proposal.

>  While I can only make
> guesses about what happened, these kinds of things easily make you go
> from "Hey, maybe I'll be able to do something to improve Python!" to
> "These people don't seem to want me here or appreciate my efforts.".

For the record, this is pretty rare -- and it was announced on -ideas that
the discussion had started up here -- maybe you missed that post?

I think in this case, there were ideas over on -ideas, but then it was
decided (by whom, who knows?) that the goal of supporting PAth in the
stdlib was decided upon, so it was time to talk implementation, rather than
ideas -- thus python-dev. In fact, the implementation turned out to be less
straightforward than originally thought, so maybe it should have stayed on
-ideas, but there you go.

> Not to accuse anyone in particular; just to let people know. Anyway, I
> somehow got sucked into thinking deeply about pathlib etc. (which I do
> use). Not that I really have much at stake here, except spending
> ridiculous amounts of time thinking about paths, mainly during my
> Easter holidays and after that. I really had a hard time explaining to
> friends and family what the heck I was doing ;).

speaking only for me - thanks for your contribution -- I'm glad you found
the discussion here.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov