[Python-Dev] Maybe, just maybe, pathlib doesn't belong.

Alexander Walters tritium-list at sdamon.com
Tue Apr 12 13:41:12 EDT 2016

On 4/12/2016 12:14, Sven R. Kunze wrote:
> I cannot remember us using another datetime library. So, I don't value
> this "advantage" as much as you do.

They exist, and there are many cases where you would use a datetime
library other than datetime for various reasons (integration in third
party systems is only one reason).  But this is just a tangent.

In fact the situation with pathlib is similar to datetime - before the
inclusion of datetime in the stdlib, there were several datetime
libraries available.  Before pathlib, there were several path object
libraries.  Only now, the third party options offer a great deal of
competition over the stdlib option, thus these many hundreds, if not
thousands, of emails on the subject.