[Python-Dev] Review request: issue 10910, pyport.h causes trouble for C++ extensions on BSDs

tdsmith tim at brew.sh
Mon Aug 8 02:18:16 EDT 2016

Hi python-dev! I'm a maintainer for Homebrew, a third-party package
manager for OS X, where I'm the resident parseltongue.

Issue 10910 is related to problems building CPython extension modules
with C++ code on BSDs. As I understand it, pyport.h has some code
specific to BSD and friends, including OS X, which causes conflicts
with the C++ stdlib.

We've been carrying the patch Ronald Oussoren wrote in 2011 [2]
against Python 2.7 since olden times. We were recently prompted to add
the patch to our 3.5 package as well [3] because the bug was causing
build problems in the wild. [4]

We strive to apply as few patches as possible in Homebrew and we (I)
would love to see a fix for this deployed upstream. Can I do anything
to help code get checked in?

Thanks,
Tim

[1] https://bugs.python.org/issue10910