[Python-Dev] Review request: issue 10910, pyport.h causes trouble for C++ extensions on BSDs

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Aug 8 12:55:44 EDT 2016

On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 at 08:10 tdsmith <tim at brew.sh> wrote:

> Hi python-dev! I'm a maintainer for Homebrew, a third-party package
> manager for OS X, where I'm the resident parseltongue.
>
> Issue 10910 is related to problems building CPython extension modules
> with C++ code on BSDs. As I understand it, pyport.h has some code
> specific to BSD and friends, including OS X, which causes conflicts
> with the C++ stdlib.
>
> We've been carrying the patch Ronald Oussoren wrote in 2011 [2]
> against Python 2.7 since olden times. We were recently prompted to add
> the patch to our 3.5 package as well [3] because the bug was causing
> build problems in the wild. [4]
>
> We strive to apply as few patches as possible in Homebrew and we (I)
> would love to see a fix for this deployed upstream. Can I do anything
> to help code get checked in?

The trick is someone feeling up to the task of knowing enough C, C++, and
what's happening on OS X/BSD to validate the patch and apply it. Usually
that's Ronald or Ned and Ronald never applied his patch, so I guess that
leaves Ned. :)

If Ned doesn't have the time to look then just ping the issue in a week and
I will apply it since both you and FreeBSD are already carrying the patch
forward.