[Python-Dev] Someons's put a "Python 2.8" on GitHub

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 02:24:04 EST 2016

On 10 December 2016 at 15:56, Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:

> "Python 2.8 is a backwards-compatible Python interpreter with new features
> from Python 3.x. It was produced by forking Python 2.7.12 and backporting
> some of the new syntax, builtins, and libraries from Python 3. Python code
> and C-extensions targeting Python 2.7 or below are expected to run
> unmodified on Python 2.8 and produce the same output. But with Python 2.8,
> that code can now use some of the new features from Python 3.x."
>
> Backported features:
>
> Function annotations
> Keyword-only arguments
> async / await
> no-argument super()
> new metaclass syntax
> yield from
> typing module
> inspect.signature()
> matrix multiplication operator
> fine-grained reworking of OSError
> underscores in numeric literals
> concurrent.futures
> types.MappingProxyType
> selectors module
>
> https://github.com/naftaliharris/python2.8

Aye, I saw that recently in an Infoworld article. One area where this
could be particularly interesting is for folks embedding Python in
larger commercial applications (ArcGIS, Maya, etc) that already build
their own Python from source with the same C/C++ compiler that they
use to build the rest of the application (so arbitrary Python C
extensions aren't supported).

Cheers,
Nick.