[Python-Dev] Should I delay 3.5.3 and 3.4.6 by two weeks?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Dec 19 09:28:23 EST 2016

On 12/19/2016 12:26 AM, Larry Hastings wrote:
> Python 3.6.0 final just slipped by two weeks.  I scheduled 3.5.3 and
> 3.4.6 to ship about a month after 3.6.0 did, to "let the dust settle"
> around the release.  I expect a flood of adoption of 3.6, and people
> switching will find bugs, and maybe those bugs are in 3.5 or 3.4.  So it
> just seemed sensible.
> 3.6 just slipped by two weeks.  So now there's less than two weeks
> between 3.6.0 final shipping and tagging the release canddiates for
> 3.5.3 and 3.4.6.  This isn't as much time as I'd like.
> If I had total freedom to do as I liked, I'd slip my releases by two
> weeks to match 3.6.  But there might be people planning around 3.5.3 and
> 3.4.6--like Guido was waiting for 3.5.3 for something iirc.
> So, if you have an opinion, please vote for one of these three options:
>   * Don't slip 3.5.3. and 3.4.6.

I am mildly in favor of this.  There are already known bugs in 3.5 that 
will not get fixed, no matter how long you delay the final maintenance 
release.  There are even bugs left in 2.7 after 6 years of fixing.  In 
the meanwhile, it is a mild nuisance to have 3 3.x maintenance branches 

I don't know when Brett will move us to GIT and how that might impact 
the timing.

Terry Jan Reedy

More information about the Python-Dev mailing list