[Python-Dev] [python-committers] Should I delay 3.5.3 and 3.4.6 by two weeks?

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Thu Dec 22 12:33:16 EST 2016

100% of votes cast were for "don't slip", so we won't slip.

Retreat!  Full steam behind!


On 12/20/2016 02:25 AM, Matthias Klose wrote:
> On 19.12.2016 06:26, Larry Hastings wrote:
>> Python 3.6.0 final just slipped by two weeks. I scheduled 3.5.3 and 
>> 3.4.6 to ship about a month after 3.6.0 did, to "let the dust settle" 
>> around the release. I expect a flood of adoption of 3.6, and people 
>> switching will find bugs, and maybe those bugs are in 3.5 or 3.4. So 
>> it just seemed sensible. 3.6 just slipped by two weeks. So now 
>> there's less than two weeks between 3.6.0 final shipping and tagging 
>> the release canddiates for 3.5.3 and 3.4.6. This isn't as much time 
>> as I'd like. If I had total freedom to do as I liked, I'd slip my 
>> releases by two weeks to match 3.6. But there might be people 
>> planning around 3.5.3 and 3.4.6--like Guido was waiting for 3.5.3 for 
>> something iirc. So, if you have an opinion, please vote for one of 
>> these three options: * Don't slip 3.5.3. and 3.4.6. * Slip 3.5.3 and 
>> 3.4.6 by two weeks to match 3.6.0. * Slip 3.5.3 and 3.4.6 by a whole 
>> month, to give 3.6.0 the ability to slip again without us having to 
>> change the release. 
> I would appreciate a 3.5.3 release which doesn't slip, or which only 
> slips by a week, to be available before the Debian freeze. Neither 
> Debian nor Ubuntu ship the 3.4 branch anymore, so for 3.4 I'm fine 
> with any solution. Matthias

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/attachments/20161222/70f834be/attachment.html>

More information about the Python-Dev mailing list