[Python-Dev] Issue #26204: compiler now emits a SyntaxWarning on constant statement

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 05:06:43 EST 2016

> I frequently use 1/0 as a quick break in a script or a program (it's even
> more useful with post-mortem debugging). Would it be considered as a
> constant and ignored instead of raising a ZeroDivisionError ?

"self.x - self.y" and "1/0" are not removed since they have side effects.

Right now, "(1, 2, 3)" is not removed. But later we may remove it,
since it has no side effect, it's a constant statement.

Note: We are talking about statements. 1 is not removed in "lambda: 1"
which is a valid expression ;-)

Victor