[Python-Dev] fullOfEels, assistant program for writing Python extension modules in C

Hugh Fisher hugo.fisher at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 18:05:48 EST 2016

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 3:30 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> You're almost certainly aware of this, but just to double check since you
> don't mention it in the email: cython is also a great tool for handling
> similar situations. Not quite the same since in addition to generating all
> the boilerplate for you it then lets you use almost-python to actually write
> the C implementations as well, and I understand that with your tool you
> write the actual implementations in C. But probably also worth considering
> in cases where you'd consider this tool, so wanted to make sure it was on
> your radar.

Yes, cython is a fine tool and I wouldn't try to dissuade anyone from
using it if it works for them.

FullOfEels is for when the implementation should be hidden altogether.
Most often this is because of cross-platform differences or coding
horrors, but could also be handy for teaching when it's easier to just
give students plain Python modules to look at.

Thanks for replying.

--

        cheers,
        Hugh Fisher