[Python-Dev] Request for CPython 3.5.3 release

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Jul 3 10:39:08 EDT 2016

Another thought recently occurred to me. Do releases really have to be
such big productions? A recent ACM article by Tom Limoncelli[1]
reminded me that we're doing releases the old-fashioned way --
infrequently, and with lots of manual labor. Maybe we could
(eventually) try to strive for a lighter-weight, more automated
release process? It would be less work, and it would reduce stress for
authors of stdlib modules and packages -- there's always the next
release. I would think this wouldn't obviate the need for carefully
planned and timed "big deal" feature releases, but it could make the
bug fix releases *less* of a deal, for everyone.

[1] http://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2016/7/204027-the-small-batches-principle/abstract
(sadly requires login)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)