[Python-Dev] release cadence (was: Request for CPython 3.5.3 release)

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Jul 5 15:11:46 EDT 2016

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 at 10:45 Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> On Jul 04, 2016, at 10:31 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
> >While we liked the "consistent calendar cadence that is some multiple
> >of 6 months" idea, several of us thought 12 months was way too short
> >as it makes for too many entries in third party support matrices.
>
> 18 months for a major release cadence still seems right to me.  Downstreams
> and third-parties often have to go through *a lot* of work to ensure
> compatibility, and try as we might, every Python release breaks
> *something*.
> Major version releases trigger a huge cascade of other work for lots of
> other
> people, and I don't think shortening that would be for the overall
> community
> good.  It just feels like we'd always be playing catch up.

Sticking w/ 18 months is also fine, but then I would like to discuss
choosing what months we try to release to get into a date-based release
cadence so we know that every e.g. December and June are when releases
typically happen thanks to our 6 month bug-fix release cadence. This has
the nice benefit of all of us being generally aware of when a bug-fix
release is coming up instead of having to check the PEP or go through our
mail archive to find out what month a bug-fix is going to get cut (and also
something the community to basically count on).