[Python-Dev] Why does PEP 7/8 explicitly suggest 2 spaces after a period?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri May 20 12:35:21 EDT 2016

In Emacs, the paragraph reflow commands still try to keep a period
followed by only one space together on a line, under the assumption
that it might be something like `Dr. Brett Cannon`. A reasonable HTML
generator should ignore the second space. So all in all I still like
the two-space rule -- not so much for readability but because of
tooling.

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 9:27 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> Is there a specific reason for calling out two spaces in comments after a
> period(I realize it's probably for consistency, but I sure don't ever think
> about this when I write comment)? Otherwise who actually still writes using
> two spaces after punctuation? :)

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)