[Python-Dev] OpenIndiana and Solaris support

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Sep 23 13:49:35 EDT 2016

What on earth is OpenIndiana? Its website is a mystery of buzzwords
and PR vagueness:

"openindiana
Community-driven Illumos Distribution"

"What is illumos ?

>From the illumos developer’s guide: “illumos is a consolidation of
software that forms the core of an Operating System. It includes the
kernel, device drivers, core system libraries, and utilities. It is
the home of many technologies include ZFS, DTrace, Zones, ctf, [...]"

"The “Hipster” branch

Hipster is a codename for rapidly moving development branch of
OpenIndiana and users might experience occasional breakages or
problems. Hipster is using rolling-release model and only publishes
installation ISOs once in a while. Every ISO release will be announced
via mailing list and ..."

That didn't exactly answer my questions. Clearly they don't care about
anyone who isn't already a user of openindiana or illumos. So I
propose that we shouldn't care about them either.

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 1:33 AM, Victor Stinner
<victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My question is simple: do we officially support Solaris and/or OpenIndiana?
>
> Jesus Cea runs an OpenIndiana buildbot slave:
> http://buildbot.python.org/all/buildslaves/cea-indiana-x86
> "Open Indiana 32 bits"
>
> The platform module of Python says "Solaris-2.11", I don't know the
> exact OpenIndiana version.
>
> A lot of unit tests fail on this buildbot with MemoryError. I guess
> that it's related to Solaris which doesn't allow overcommit
> (allocating more memory than available memory on the system), or more
> simply because the slave has not enough memory.
>
> There is now an issue which seems specific to OpenIndiana:
> http://bugs.python.org/issue27847
>
> It might impact Solaris as well, but the Solaris buildbot is offline
> since "684 builds".
>
> Five years ago, I reported a bug because the curses module of Python 3
> doesn't build on Solaris nor OpenIndiana anymore. It seems like the
> bug was not fixed, and the issue is still open:
> http://bugs.python.org/issue13552
>
> So my question is if we officially support Solaris and/or OpenIndiana.
> If yes, how can we fix issues when we only have buildbot slave which
> has memory errors, and no SSH access to this server?
>
> Solaris doesn't seem to be officially supported in Python, so I
> suggest to drop the OpenIndiana buildbot (which is failing since at
> least 2 years) and close all Solaris issues as "WONTFIX".
>
> Victor

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)