[Python-Dev] OpenIndiana and Solaris support

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Sep 26 18:54:05 EDT 2016

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 at 15:38 Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the reality check Trent! I think if enough people with core
> committer bits want to keep supporting Solaris / Illumos / OpenIndiana
> / other variants that's fine, but I don't think that just having some
> VMs to test on is enough -- we also need people who can fix problems
> if those buildbots start failing, and that requires pretty specialized
> knowledge. Plus of course we won't know if fixing it for OpenIndiana
> will also fix it for Solaris 11 Express or for other Illumos forks.
> (For Linux it's easier to assess these things because so many people
> in open source use Linux and its many forks.)

The official requirement to support a platform is a stable buildbot and a
core dev to keep the support up:
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0011/#supporting-platforms. Victor has
asked that the OpenIndiana buildbot be removed from the stable pool as it
consistently throws MemoryError which means its support is not improving.
If Trent is willing to maintain a buildbot in a Joyent VM that at least
takes care of that part, but it still requires Jesus to volunteer to keep
the support up if it's going to be supported for free. Otherwise Joyent
could consider contracting with one of the various core devs who happen to
be consultants to help maintain the support.

At minimum, though, a new buildbot could go into the unstable pool so
illumos devs can keep an eye on when things break to try and get
platform-independent changes upstreamed that happen to help illumos (e.g.
no #ifdef changes specific to illumos, but if something just needed to be
made more robust and it happens to help illumos that's typically fine).