[Python-Dev] PEP 540: Add a new UTF-8 mode (v3)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 13:23:33 EST 2017

On Dec 9, 2017 8:53 PM, "INADA Naoki" <songofacandy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Earlier versions of PEP 538 thus included "en_US.UTF-8" on the
> candidate target locale list, but that turned out to cause assorted
> problems due to the "C -> en_US" part of the coercion.

Hm, but PEP 538 says:

> this PEP instead proposes to extend the "surrogateescape" default for
stdin and stderr error handling to also apply to the three potential
coercion target locales.

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0538/#defaulting-to-
surrogateescape-error-handling-on-the-standard-io-streams

I don't think en_US.UTF-8 should use surrogateescape error handler.

Could you explain why not? utf-8 seems like the common thread for using
surrogateescape so I'm not sure what would make en_US.UTF-8 different than
C.UTF-8.

-Toshio