[Python-Dev] PEP 540: Add a new UTF-8 mode (v3)

INADA Naoki songofacandy at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 19:00:47 EST 2017

> Could you explain why not? utf-8 seems like the common thread for using
> surrogateescape so I'm not sure what would make en_US.UTF-8 different than
> C.UTF-8.

Because there are many lang_COUNTRY.UTF-8 locales:
ja_JP.UTF-8, zh_TW.UTF-8, fr_FR.UTF-8, etc...

If only en_US.UTF-8 should use surrogateescape, it may make confusing situation
like: "This script works in English Linux desktop, but doesn't work in
Japanese Linux
desktop!"

I accepted PEP 540.  So even if failed to coerce locale, it is better
than Python 3.6.

Regards,

INADA Naoki  <songofacandy at gmail.com>