[Python-Dev] Is static typing still optional?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Dec 29 13:59:52 EST 2017

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 7:10 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <
turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:

> Recently a question has been raised about the decorator overriding
> methods defined in the class (especially __repr__).  People feel that
> if the class defines a method, the decorator should not override it.
> The current API requires passing "repr=false" to the decorator.

I think this is a reasonable question, though I'm not sure how "big" it is.
Note that if the *base* class defines __repr__ the decorator should still
override it (unless repr=False), since there's always object.__repr__ (and
same for most other dunders). We should also (like we did with most
questions big and small) look at what attrs does and why.

Regarding whether this should live on PyPI first, in this case that would
not be helpful, since attrs is already the category killer on PyPI. So we
are IMO taking the best course possible given that we want something in the
stdlib but not exactly attrs.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)