[Python-Dev] Is static typing still optional?

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Fri Dec 29 20:48:14 EST 2017

> Regarding whether this should live on PyPI first, in this case that
> would not be helpful, since attrs is already the category killer on
> PyPI. So we are IMO taking the best course possible given that we want
> something in the stdlib but not exactly attrs.

It always seemed to me that the reason to recommend putting something on
PyPI first wasn't so that it would climb up some kind of leaderboard,
but so that people could get real-world experience with it before
freezing it into the stdlib.  If we think people won't start using data
classes from PyPI, why do we think it's important to get into the stdlib?

It still seems to me like there are open questions about how data
classes should work. Getting people using it will be a good way to get
the best design before our hands are tied with backward compatibility in
the stdlib.  What is the rush to put a new design into the stdlib?
Presumably it is better than attrs (or we would have simply adopted
attrs).  Having data classes on PyPI will be a good way to gauge acceptance.

--Ned.