[Python-Dev] Translated Python documentation

Rob Cliffe rob.cliffe at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 26 21:18:27 EST 2017

On 24/02/2017 12:20, Berker Peksağ wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 12:01 AM, Victor Stinner
> <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What percent of lines is changed between bugfix releases? Feature releases?
>>>
>>> My largest apprehension is that the documentation can be outdated and
>>> quickly become degraded if main contributors left it.
>> If the original text (english) changes, untranslated text is
>> displayed, not outdated text.
> I think that's much worse than showing the outdated text. I don't see
> any point on showing half English and half French text if the reader
> can't understand the other half of it.

Fair point (especially if you substitute a language totally unrelated to
English (e.g. Turkish, Finnish, Urdu, Japanese) for "French").  But it
can be turned around:
     Popular demand would encourage whoever is maintaining the
translated versions to catch up within a reasonable time when changes
are made.
     It would nudge non-English readers to look at the untranslated
English text and begin/develop their knowledge of English.
Best wishes,
Rob Cliffe