[Python-Dev] Translated Python documentation

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Mon Feb 27 03:20:03 EST 2017

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 11:30 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27 February 2017 at 14:03, David Mertz <mertz at gnosis.cx> wrote:
>
>> Could we have side-by-side English and whatever translated language? Then
>> also use some sort of typographic indicator like color to show when the
>> translation is out of date?
>>

> This kind of interface is what services like Transifex and Zanata offer
> translators (they also have things like phrase dictionaries, showing how
> particular terms have been translated elsewhere in the project).
>
> For the actual documentation, showing partial translations is the standard
> practice, as the assumption is that many readers will have *some* ability
> to read English, they just prefer to read their native language.

I think it would be at least as useful for readers as for the translators.
As you mention, many readers will have *some* English.  If they can look
from the left half to the right half of the screen in synchronized texts
(or perhaps top/bottom; whatever), they can read the English as well as
they are able while simultaneously  reading as much of their preferred
language as is available.  If their preferred language is available but
possibly not current, they could decide whether to try to understand the
difference in the canonical English version.

I really liked this in books I've read.  There are a fair number of
languages other than English where I can make a little bit of sense of the
text (but sadly only the one in which I'm proficient).  Nonetheless, I like
looking at the original text next to the English that I actually understand
fully.  Admittedly this is especially nice for something like poetry where
you can read for meter on one side then content on the other... that's not
the same concern as technical documentation, I realize.  But even if only
as an option, I think it would be a valuable interface for many readers.