[Python-Dev] Program runs in 12s on Python 2.7, but 5s on Python 3.5 -- why so much difference?

Wang, Peter Xihong peter.xihong.wang at intel.com
Mon Jul 24 16:47:37 EDT 2017

I believe we have evaluated clang vs gcc before (long time ago), and gcc won at that time.

PGO might have overshadowed impact from computed goto, and thus the latter may no longer be needed.

When the performance difference is as large as 50%, there could be various options to nail down the root cause, including bytecode analysis.  However, coming down to 3.6 sec vs 3.4 sec, a delta of ~5%, it could be hard to find out.  Internally we use sampling based performance tools for micro-architecture level analysis.  Or generic Linux based and open source tool “perf” is very good to use.   You could also do a disassembly analysis/comparison of the object files such as the main loop, ceval.o, looking at the efficiency of the generated codes (which gives generic info regarding to Python2 and 3, but may not tell you the run time behavior with respect your specific app, pentomino.py).

Hope that helps.

Peter