[Python-Dev] PEP 538 warning at startup: please remove it

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Mon Jun 12 13:48:39 EDT 2017

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 5:25 AM Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 June 2017 at 18:56, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Nick Coghlan pushed his implementation of his PEP 538: nice! Nice step
> > forward to UTF-8 everywhere ;-)
> >
> > I would prefer to not be annoyed by warning messages about encodings
> > at startup if possible:
> >
> > "Python detected LC_CTYPE=C: LC_CTYPE coerced to C.UTF-8 (set another
> > locale or PYTHONCOERCECLOCALE=0 to disable this locale coercion
> > behavior)."
>
> Note that there's an open issue for this linked from the What's New entry:
>
> *
> https://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/3.7.html#pep-538-legacy-c-locale-coercion
> * https://bugs.python.org/issue30565
>
> I suspect the eventual outcome is going to be dropping that particular
> warning (since it's been problematic for Fedora's 3.6 backport as
> well, and the problems are due to the warning itself, *not* the locale
> coercion), but I'd prefer to keep the notification at least for a
> while (potentially even until alpha 1).
>
> OTOH, I'm also open to being persuaded otherwise if enough folks are
> running into problems with it just while working on CPython (I'd still
> like to turn it back on for alpha 1 even if we turn off in the
> meantime, though).
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.
>
> P.S. Part of my rationale for doing it this way is that I'm certain
> that after 3.7's release next year we're going to get at least a few
> users genuinely upset at our decision to move the ASCII-based C locale
> explicitly into the "legacy partially-supported environment" category,
> and even more upset that we're "silently ignoring their explicit
> configuration settings" by implicitly coercing it to something else.
>
> Those kinds of concerns are much easier to address effectively if we
> can say "We tried it with an explicit warning, and it was too annoying
> to be usable; see <issue link> if you want more details" than if we're
> in the situation of having to say "We assumed an explicit warning
> would be too annoying, so we never even tried it".

The problem, as with all warnings, is that it isn't the user who has
control over the problem who sees the warning. It is the end use of an
application on a system that sees it.

So they way I see it, we have no choice but to disable this warning by
default before we exit 3.7 beta.

-gps - "infamous" author of the bad idea of a DeprecationWarning in the old
md5 and sha modules...