[Python-Dev] Helping contributors with chores (do we have to?)

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sun Jun 25 21:16:00 EDT 2017

> On Jun 25, 2017, at 5:39 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 25 June 2017 at 18:31, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>>
>> I have used it. I don’t use it every day but I’ve never had it fail on me
>> unless the contributor has unchecked the flag. I just ``git remote add
>> <github username> <github url>`` then checkout their branch, add more
>> commits, and push to their branch.
>
> That's relatively simple, but not immediately obvious (at least to me).

I’m completely willing to agree that because git was the first VCS I used seriously (I tried Mercural out early on, but switched quickly before I got too deep in it b/c of Github) that my brain has successfully been broken in a git shaped way ;)

> There's a lot of concepts in here that are not exactly basic:
>
> 1. Being allowed to have multiple remotes in one repository
> 2. Naming of branches in non-default remotes, and how to translate the
> name in the remote to the local name you need to use
> 3. Pushing to non-default remotes
>
> There's also the point noted that by default, github doesn't permit
> this usage, and the contributor has to explicitly allow it - which
> probably means the core dev need to know how to do it, and how to
> explain that process to the contributor.

Just a point of clarification, as far as I am aware Github defaults that checkmark to on, and PR authors have to explicitly turn it off to disable it. Although I think older PRs were all set to act as if the author did not grant that permission.

> And probably others. I'm not interested in debating what constitutes
> stuff that "everyone should know", or how "easy" or not git is. But
> for someone coming from a familiarity with Mercurial (which means many
> core devs) the learning curve is pretty steep (I'd consider that
> self-evident, because of the differences between the 2 systems).

Not sure if this was aimed at me or not, but I don’t think that everyone should know that off the bat! I was just giving the steps I use to use it, hopefully in a useful way for other people.

—
Donald Stufft