[Python-Dev] Snap Python for simple distribution across multiple Linux distros

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Tue May 23 16:41:58 EDT 2017

Well, it sounds like you have an answer to the question of whether the
cpython developers are interested in making official snap releases, but of
course this doesn't stop you making unofficial snap releases, and simple
standalone python distributions can be pretty handy. I just wanted to point
out that virtualenv support is a very important feature of python builds,
and it may be a challenge to support this within the app-as-container
paradigm, because it requires that the python interpreter be able to locate
itself, copy itself to arbitrary directories, and then run the copy. (Or
maybe it's fine, dunno. And python 3 has some changes that might make it
friendlier than python 2 in this regard.)

-n