[Python-Dev] Aligning the packaging.python.org theme with the rest of the docs

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun May 28 01:31:35 EDT 2017

On 28 May 2017 at 06:54, Guido van Rossum <gvanrossum at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you also going to stop others from using the psf theme?

I think it would definitely make sense to discourage the use of this
particular theme for projects that aren't relatively directly
affiliated with the PSF - there are plenty of other pip-installable
high contrast themes out there that aren't closely associated with a
particular backing organisation.

The one Jon was originally considering for the PyPA docs was
Alabaster, which is now the default theme in Sphinx 1.3+:
https://alabaster.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

So I think it would be appropriate to include a sentence like the
following in the README for psf-docs-theme:

"Please limit use of this theme to projects which are closely
affiliated with the Python Software Foundation, and have permission
from either the CPython core development team or the PSF itself for
such use. For other projects looking for a simple, high contrast, pip
installable Sphinx theme, we recommend the Alabaster theme used by
default in Sphinx 1.3+."

Cheers,
Nick.