[Python-Dev] [python-committers] Reminder: 12 weeks to 3.7 feature code cutoff

Yury Selivanov yselivanov.ml at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 11:02:47 EST 2017

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 11:30 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 November 2017 at 09:52, Jelle Zijlstra <jelle.zijlstra at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This just popped up in Brython's issue tracker discussion:
>>>
>>> """
>>> Pierre Quentel <notifications at github.com>
>>>
>>> 04:57 (16 hours ago)
>>> to brython-dev/br., Subscribed
>>>
>>> I think it's better to rename all occurences of async now, although
>>> it's strange that :
>>>
>>> there is currently no deprecation warning in CPython with code that
>>> uses it as a variable name, PEP492 said that "async and await names
>>> will be softly deprecated in CPython 3.5 and 3.6"
>>> there is no mention of async and await becoming keywords in What's new
>>> in Python 3.7
>>>
>>> Maybe the idea was finally given up, but I can't find a reference.
>>>
>>> """
>>>
>>> So, what is the status of promoting async and await to full keyword for
>>> 3.7?
>>>
>> This was implemented, and it's in NEWS:
>> https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/1669.
>
> That's a big enough change that it should be in What's New as well (at
> least in the porting section, and probably more prominent than that).
>
> The current lack of DeprecationWarnings in 3.6 is a fairly major
> oversight/bug, though:

There's no oversight.  We had PendingDeprecationWarning for
async/await names in 3.5, and DeprecationWarning in 3.6.  You just
need to enable warnings to see them:

~ » python3 -Wall
Python 3.6.2 (default, Aug  2 2017, 22:29:27)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 8.1.0 (clang-802.0.42)] on darwin
>>> async = 1
<stdin>:1: DeprecationWarning: 'async' and 'await' will become
reserved keywords in Python 3.7

> So if we're going to go ahead with making them real keywords in 3.7
> (as specified in PEP 492), then the missing DeprecationWarning problem
> in 3.6 needs to be fixed.

They are already keywords in 3.7, I've committed that change a month ago.

Yury