[Python-Dev] Guarantee ordered dict literals in v3.7?

Paul G paul at ganssle.io
Sun Nov 5 13:14:54 EST 2017

I'm not entirely sure I understand the full set of reasoning for this - I couldn't really tell what the problem with OrderedDict is from the link Stefan provided. It seems to me like a kind of huge change for the language to move from arbitrary-ordered to guaranteed-ordered dict. The problem I see is that this introduces a huge backwards compatibility burden on all implementations of Python.

It's possible that no implementations of Python (either future CPython versions or current/future alternative interpreters) will find any reason to use anything but an insertion-order sorted dictionary, but given that we've done just fine with arbitrary-order semantics for the entire lifetime of the language /and/ there is a container (OrderedDict) which has guaranteed order semantics, it doesn't seem worth it to me.

I think I would mostly be concerned with (in terms of likeliness to occur):

1. An edge case we haven't thought of where arbitrary order dictionaries would allow some crticial optimization for a given platform (perhaps in someone writing a transpiler to another language where the convenient equivalent container has arbitrary order, e.g. if Brython wants to implement dicts in terms of objects - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5525795/does-javascript-guarantee-object-property-order )

2. Someone invents a new arbitrary-ordered container that would improve on the memory and/or CPU performance of the current dict implementation

3. Some sort of bug or vulnerability is discovered that makes insertion-ordered dictionaries an unwise choice (similar to the hash collision vulnerability that necessitated hash randomization - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14956313#14959001 ).

Perhaps these concerns are overblown, but if indeed guaranteed-order Mapping literals are critical in some or many cases, maybe it would be preferable to introduce new syntax for OrderedDict literals.

Best,
Paul