[Python-Dev] PEP 557: Data Classes

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 12 18:33:18 EDT 2017

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 3:20 AM, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:

>  The reason I liked "row" as a name is because it resembles  "vector" and
> hence is loosely assocaited with the concept of a tuple as well as being
> familiar to database users. In fact the answer to a relational query was, I
> believe, originally formally defined as a set of tuples.

Is the intent that these things preserve order? in which case, I like row
is OK (though still don't see what's wrong with record). I still dop'nt
love it though -- it gives the expectation of a row in a data table )or csv
file, or.. which will be a common use case, but really, it doesn't
conceptually have anything to do with tabular data.

in fact, one might want to store a bunch of these in, say, a 2D (or 3D)
array, then row would be pretty weird....

I don't much like entity either -- it is either way to generic -- everyting
is an entity! even less specific than "object". Or two specific (and
incorrect) in the lexicon of particular domains.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov