[Python-Dev] Migrate python-dev to Mailman 3?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 00:35:58 EDT 2017

On 27 October 2017 at 00:28, Wes Turner <wes.turner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, October 26, 2017, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So basically, what I'm asking is what would be the support for the use
>> case "Find a permanent link to an archived article as fast as possible
>> based on subject/author or a Google search".
>

> The complexity of this process is also very wastefully frustrating to me.
> (Maybe it's in the next month's message tree? No fulltext search? No way to
> even do an inurl: search because of the URIs?!)
>
> Isn't there a way to append a permalink to the relayed message footers?
> Google Groups and Github do this and it saves a lot of time.

MM3 injects an Archived-At header, as the permalink URLs for individual
messages are generated based on a hash of a suitable subset of the message
headers (I don't know if it's possible to opt-in to including those in the
message footer or not, though).

As Barry explained, this isn't possible with pipermail, as those archive
URLs are dynamically generated and are completely independent of the
message contents and metadata (this is also why you can't safely delete
messages from MM2 archives: doing so will renumber the archive URLs for all
subsequent messages).

Cheers,
Nick.