[Python-Dev] Deprecate PEP 370 Per user site-packages directory?

Bruno Maximilian Voß bruno.m.voss at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 15:58:40 EST 2018

Hi all,

I'm a user who decided to read the mailing list and respond to argue
against and maybe stop things I don't think will help users as much as you
think.I think deprecating user site-packages is such a change.

That venvs exist doesn't mean most or even many people use them, even
though I'm sure you and everyone you know does. I couldn't find usage
statistics on short notice, do you have any?

As far as I understand it site-packages is the default location for all
packages that are installed and as long as the packages that are installed
aren't causing a conflict, there is no problem. I've never had a problem in
six years of using python.

So I'd really like a more detailed break down of the troubles the existence
of site packages causes and of the up- and downsides removing it would
bring, before anything is decided.

Another point I'd like to raise is that even though it's a good idea to
isolate programs with venvs for stability, development and sometimes maybe
security, idk, the idea of having a shared pool of packages has benefits
too, namely code reuse and their availability, for example when you're
offline.

Also I don't really know why you would think it's necessary to force every
user into venvs. The applications and users that do need their environments
are free to use one after all.

Regards,

Max