[Python-Dev] Friendly reminder: be kind to one another

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Jan 29 21:16:14 EST 2018

Over the last 3 days I have had two situations come up where I was asked
for my opinion in regards to possible CoC violations. I just wanted to take
this opportunity to remind everyone that open source does not work if we
are not open, considerate, and respectful to one another (which also
happens to be the PSF CoC that we are all expected to follow when working
on Python). When we stop being kind to each other is when open source falls
apart because it drives people away, and for a project that is driven by
volunteers like Python that will be what ends this project (not to say
people should be rude to corporate open source projects, but they can
simply choose to switch to a core dump approach of open source).

I gave a talk at PyCascades this past week on setting expectations for open
source participation: https://youtu.be/HiWfqMbJ3_8?t=7m24s . I had at least
one person who was upset about no one getting to their pull request quickly
come up to me afterwards and apologize for ever feeling that way after
watching my talk, so do please watch it if you have ever felt angry at an
open source maintainer or contributor to help keep things in perspective.

I also wanted to say that I think core developers should work extra hard to
be kind as we help set the tone for this project which can leak into the
broader community. People with commit privileges are not beyond rebuke and
so people should never feel they are not justified speaking up when they
feel a core developer has been rude to them.

Anyway, the key point is to remember is that people are what make this
project and community work, so please make sure that you do what you can to
keep people wanting to participate.