[Python-Dev] Store startup modules as C structures for 20%+ startup speed improvement?

Carl Shapiro carl.shapiro at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 13:36:52 EDT 2018

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 1:31 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> No idea.  In my previous experiments with module import speed, I
> concluded that executing module bytecode generally was the dominating
> contributor, but that doesn't mean loading bytecode is costless.

My observations might not be so different.  On a large application, we
measured ~25-30% of start-up time being spent in the loading of compiled
bytecode.  That includes: probing the filesystem, reading the bytecode off
disk, allocating heap storage, and un-marshaling objects into the heap.

Making that percentage go to ~0% using this change does not make the
non-import parts of our module body functions execute faster.  It does
create a greater opportunity for the application developer to do less work
in module body functions which is where the largest start-up time gains are
now likely to happen.