[Python-Dev] About multiprocessing maintainership

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Feb 4 12:10:44 EST 2019

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 09:45:39 -0600
Zachary Ware <zachary.ware+pydev at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 4:39 AM Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> > What I did (*) is different: I asked to mark Davin inactive and to stop
> > auto-assigning him on bug tracker issues.  Davin was /still/ listed in
> > the experts list, along with me and others.  IOW, there was no "editing
> > out".
>
> Auto-assignment (and auto-add-to-nosy-list, for that matter) is
> handled by the "components" of the bug tracker, see
> bugs.python.org/component.  The experts list is used just for
> populating the auto-completion for the nosy-list (that is, typing
> "multi" in the nosy list entry field brings up "multiprocessing:
> davin,pitrou" currently).  Marking a dev as "(inactive)" in the
> experts list removes them from that auto-completion.

Thanks for the clarification.

In any case, here is how things usually happen.  A user files a bug
report for a certain module M.  A triager takes notice, looks up the
relevant expert(s) in the developer's guide.  If an expert is listed
with issue assignment allowed (the asterisk "*" besides the name), then
the triager assumes that expert is available and assigns the issue to
them.  If the expert with an asterisk doesn't respond to the issue,
the issue may very well get forgotten.

So it's important that experts with an asterisk are actually available
to deal with user reports.

Regards

Antoine.