[Python-Dev] Interested in serving on Steering Council

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Jan 2 13:15:17 EST 2019

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 12:34:55 -0500
David Mertz <mertz at gnosis.cx> wrote:
> Hi Core Developers,
>
> First thing: I am *not* a CPython committer.  I think most of you who are
> will be somewhat familiar with me though.
>
> Second: I was a Director of the PSF for a long while, and continue to chair
> some Working Groups.  I've been mentioned in some PEPs.  I have written a
> lot of articles and have given a lot of talks about Python, including about
> recent or pending PEPs and similar matters.  I continue to work and train
> around Python and open source (now with a focus on "data science", whatever
> that is).
>
> Third: I follow python-ideas and python-dev rather closely, and fairly
> often contribute ideas to those lists.
>
> Fourth: As I read PEP 8016, I cannot nominate myself to the Steering
> Committee.  That seems good and proper to me.  But I believe I would be a
> relevant and helpful member of the future Steering Committee if someone
> wishes to nominate me and if the voters wish to elect me.

The primary question I would ask an external candidate is: how is it
that you never became a core developer (which implies some amount of
effort and dedication) but nevertheless would be willing to spend the
effort and dedication needed for serving on a Steering Council (*)?

(*) (or Committee, I don't remember :-))

Regards

Antoine.