[Python-Dev] Using CLA assistant for Python contributions

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 05:58:00 EST 2019

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 at 10:39, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 07:25:37AM +0000, Paul Moore wrote:
>
> > PS I would also prefer not to have to re-sign, but just have my
> > existing confirmation carried over. I don't *know* if there are any
> > implications at my end around re-signing, and my preference is simply
> > to not ask that question (on the basis of why make things harder for
> > myself). But if it's needed, then fair enough.
>
> Because what you don't know can't hurt you?
>
> You're signing a legal document. Shouldn't you understand the
> implications of signing it before you sign?

Sigh. Trust me that I know what I'm saying, please. I do understand
the implications. And re-signing a CLA *will* involve different
processes for me than a simple continuance of an existing CLA - even
if that CLA is confirmed by the PSF as legally identical to the new
one. I can, and will, negotiate that difficulty myself if necessary -
but honestly, it's not really the place of anyone on this list to tell
me what I need to do in order to ensure my compliance with the CLA and
with my employer's policies.

I offered the information for awareness, to ensure that the people
proposing this change knew that it had the potential to incur extra
work for people being asked to re-sign, beyond the mere mechanics of
re-signing. I did not expect arguments over my understanding of what I
needed to do (nor did I expect the Spanish Inquisition, but *nobody*
expects that ;-))

Paul