[Python-Dev] Using CLA assistant for Python contributions

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Mar 8 06:46:03 EST 2019

On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 10:58:00AM +0000, Paul Moore wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 at 10:39, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 07:25:37AM +0000, Paul Moore wrote:
> >
> > > PS I would also prefer not to have to re-sign, but just have my
> > > existing confirmation carried over. I don't *know* if there are any
> > > implications at my end around re-signing, and my preference is simply
> > > to not ask that question (on the basis of why make things harder for
> > > myself). But if it's needed, then fair enough.
> >
> > Because what you don't know can't hurt you?
> >
> > You're signing a legal document. Shouldn't you understand the
> > implications of signing it before you sign?
>
> Sigh. Trust me that I know what I'm saying, please. I do understand
> the implications.

I'm sorry Paul, we seem to have difficulty in communicating today.

You explicitly said that you did not know if there are any implications
for you to re-sign, now you're saying that we ought to trust you that
you do know the implications. Forgive me if I'm confused.

Oh! I think I get it... when you say you prefer to not to ask the
question, you mean in the sense of "Don't make me re-sign, and that way
I won't have to ask about the implications of re-signing".

Is that what you meant? I'm sorry, I truly read it as "I don't know what
the implications are, and I don't want to know, but I'll sign".

Communication is hard.

> And re-signing a CLA *will* involve different
> processes for me than a simple continuance of an existing CLA - even
> if that CLA is confirmed by the PSF as legally identical to the new
> one.

That's a very good point, and I hope Mariatta is reading :-)

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about re-negotiating a new CLA with
an employer. But I imagine a lot of people will be in your same
situation.

> I can, and will, negotiate that difficulty myself if necessary -
> but honestly, it's not really the place of anyone on this list to tell
> me what I need to do in order to ensure my compliance with the CLA and
> with my employer's policies.

Chill out Paul, I'm not your dad and I'm not telling you to clean your
room :-)

But we are a community, not as close as personal friends, but closer
than perfect strangers, and if I see people in my community talking
about doing something which may be problematic for them, the kind thing
to do is point that out.

Sorry if I stepped on your toes by misunderstanding your words.

--
Steven