[Python-Dev] Location of CI for Windows Embeddable Distro

Gerald Wiltse jerrywiltse at gmail.com
Thu May 2 14:56:19 EDT 2019

With minimal patching of tools/msi/make_zip.py, I was able to create an
equivalent zip package on Linux.  It doesn't work out of the box of
course.  I had to do two commands

My biggest concern is that even if the layout is "correct" on linux, the
python runtime might not actually support being run like this on Linux.
Perhaps the code for using python36.zip as a landmark and source of modules
is only implemented on Windows.  Do you know if that is the case?

    tmp$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$(pwd)
    tmp$ export PYTHONHOME=$(pwd)
    tmp$ export PYTHONPATH=$(pwd)
    tmp$ ./python
    Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: Unable to get the locale encoding
    ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'encodings'

    Aborted (core dumped)

Here's the full directory structure, error, and patch I created. Any
additional feedback would be great.

https://gist.github.com/solvingj/87305e0f70e14d738d6989ba2f41352f

Gerald R. Wiltse
jerrywiltse at gmail.com