[Python-ideas] iter() on steroids

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Apr 13 20:33:13 CEST 2007

"George Sakkis" <george.sakkis at gmail.com>
wrote in message
news:91ad5bf80704130849y5117321ev475acf240b4f086f at mail.gmail.com...
| In some sense it's a chicken-and-egg problem. My guess is that one
| reason itertools are not used as much as they could/should is that
| they are "hidden away" in a module, which makes one think it twice
| before importing it (let alone newbies that don't even know its
| existence). As a single data point, I'm a big fan itertools and still
| I'm often lazy to import it to use, say izip() only once; I just go
| with zip() instead.

I personally think there are too many builtins.  So I would like some
pushed to modules, which means more import statements.  Oh, dear.

If you have trouble writing 'from itertools import izip' or 'import
itertools as it', then I guess it is hard to promote a module.
Nonetheless, I think perhaps you should write your own based on iter and
itertools.  And put it up on PyPI if it works at least for you.

Terry Jan Reedy