[Python-ideas] An idea for a new pickling tool

Daniel Stutzbach daniel at stutzbachenterprises.com
Wed Apr 22 11:39:09 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 8:02 PM, Leonardo Santagada <santagada at gmail.com>wrote:

> With the already existing fast json serializers (simplejson) why not use
> JSON instead of YAML? I like the YAML language, but JSON serializers exists
> for many more languages and are usually much more used than YAML ones.

JSON's appeal is in its simplicity, but it's TOO simple to serve as a
replacement for pickle.  For example, it can't encode recursive objects.

Since YAML is a superset of JSON, it's a very natural choice for those
already familiar with JSON who need a little more power.

--
Daniel Stutzbach, Ph.D.
President, Stutzbach Enterprises, LLC <http://stutzbachenterprises.com>