[Python-ideas] Making colons optional?

Riobard Zhan yaogzhan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 07:47:33 CET 2009

On 6-Feb-09, at 12:01 PM, Oleg Broytmann wrote:
>   It is, because it is now a part of *the language*. Changing the
> language
> is always a major change. If you don't understand - well, we failed to
> communicate, and I am stopping now.

It's OK. We just have different understanding of how "big" is "big".

>   You have to learn to live with small inconsistencies.

I'm perfectly fine with them. Have lived with them for a couple of
years.

>> By comparison, what do we get by making "print" a function? Why not
>> create a "put" or "echo" built-in function if we really want the
>> flexibility? Isn't that a major, big scale change?
>
>   Yes, it was a major change, and it warranted a new major release -
> 3.0.

The original context is that you thought it's not worth a "big/major"
change to make colons optional because we get nothing, then I asked by
comparison what do we get by making "print" a function (a "bigger"
change for me) when we really have the option to just add a new built-
in function with a slightly different name.