[Python-ideas] a new lambda syntax

Masklinn masklinn at masklinn.net
Tue Oct 20 10:36:40 CEST 2009

On 20 Oct 2009, at 00:00 , Nick Coghlan wrote:

> However, for Python, the idea of having anonymous blocks runs headlong
> into the use of indentation for block delineation.
I'm not sure that's the case, Haskell uses indentation for block
delineation too and doesn't (as far as I know, I might be wrong)
impose further restrictions on anonymous functions than on named ones.

Though this might have to do with…

> You have to […] embed significant whitespace inside an expression
> rather than
> only having it between statements.

haskell only dealing with expressions and not with statements, thus
"blocks" are expressions and it doesn't have to deal with a mismatch
between statements and expressions.