[Python-ideas] a new lambda syntax

Oleg Broytman phd at phd.pp.ru
Tue Oct 20 14:13:22 CEST 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 01:54:59PM +0200, Masklinn wrote:
> On 20 Oct 2009, at 13:49 , Oleg Broytman wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 01:34:11PM +0200, Masklinn wrote:
>>> Now Smalltalk probably went a
>>> bit too far for most people, even 30 years later
>>
>>   This is The Reason Number Two
> Erm? what was reason number one?

   http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3099/#core-language

   "multi-line arguments to function calls, for instance. That is just
plain ugly."

   My argument about anonymous/named functions is a part of the explanation
for the ugliness.

>> - there have to be a balance between what
>> features are accepted in the language and what are rejected. Python
>> developers decided that anonymous code blocks are allowed in a few
>> special
>> places and are forbidden generally.
> Have they? I've seen the decision that anonymous functions generally
> aren't allowed to be useful, but there are anonymous code blocks
> everywhere. You just can't pass them around.

   The number of compound statements in Python is pretty low. def, for, if,
try, with, while.

   A PEP, please?

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytman            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru