[Python-ideas] a new lambda syntax

Mike Meyer mwm-keyword-python.b4bdba at mired.org
Wed Oct 21 02:02:11 CEST 2009

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 15:49:58 +0400
Oleg Broytman <phd at phd.pp.ru> wrote:

>    This is The Reason Number Two - there have to be a balance between what
> features are accepted in the language and what are rejected. Python
> developers decided that anonymous code blocks are allowed in a few special
> places and are forbidden generally.

They did? Where? The closest I've seen is that multi-line expressions
- and in particular function invocations - are ugly, so reject any
feature that allows them - which generally includes anonymous code
blocks - will probably be rejected. This does leave open the
possibility of anonymous code blocks being acceptable providing the
syntax avoids that problem area.

     <mike