[Python-ideas] Proposal: Moratorium on Python language changes

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 21:13:22 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Dino Viehland <dinov at microsoft.com> wrote:

> For example consider multiprocessing - which IronPython still doesn't
> support.   That's a much bigger work item than everything that changed
> related to parsing in 2.6.  New built-in functions can also be a huge
> pain - again compare float.fromhex to everything that happened to the
> parser in 2.6.  I'm pretty sure I spent more time on float.fromhex even
> w/ the already existing awesome test suite.

I don't think IronPython should support multiprocessing, personally.
While there are a few things within it that probably make sense
(managers and the like) does it really make a ton of sense to run
multiple iron python VMs from a single parent?

The same applies (in the case of multiprocessing) to Jython - a single
JVM forking multiple JVMs doesn't necessarily make sense when you have
perfectly functional threads. Then again, this depends on your
perspective.

When splitting out the stdlib was discussed at the language summit
last year, this was discussed, and at the time a few people suggested
allowing some stdlib modules to be marked at "cpython-only" - this
means other implementations could omit/skip those modules (and not
ship them).

jesse