[Python-ideas] Distutils setup.py & per user site packages

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Thu Jul 29 09:20:50 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have downloaded a package from PyPI that uses distutils setup.py.
When I run it with -h it shows options for building and installing, but
does not appear to have an option for installation in my per user site
packages directory (see PEP 370).

I think it would be useful to add a "--local" option to setup.py that
would install into the per site package directory. This would allow
people to keep their Linux distros pristine while still being able to
install packages that their distros don't have. (Or is there such an
option that I've missed?)

(In my particular case it wasn't a problem; I just built it and moved
it.)
--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy