[Python-ideas] Distutils setup.py & per user site packages

Floris Bruynooghe flub at devork.be
Thu Jul 29 10:15:57 CEST 2010

Hi Mark

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 08:20:50AM +0100, Mark Summerfield wrote:
> I have downloaded a package from PyPI that uses distutils setup.py.
> When I run it with -h it shows options for building and installing, but
> does not appear to have an option for installation in my per user site
> packages directory (see PEP 370).
>
> (Or is there such an option that I've missed?)

   $ python2.6 setup.py --help install

Shows you that you can use

   $ python2.6 setup.py install --user

for this.

You have to be using python2.6 or higher though.

Note that this question doesn't really belong on python-ideas, it
should have been posted to distutils-sig or python-list
(comp.lang.python).  But proposing a --local does make the line
blurred ;-).

Regards
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom